Biological Research Assistant
|Title:||Biological Research Assistant |
|Department:||College of Arts and Sciences|
Number of Vacancies: 1
Employment Status: temporary
Salary Range: $30,516.00
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Location: Van Ness Campus, Washington, DC
Brief Description of Duties
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE JOB:
The incumbent functions as a Research Assistant in Biology within the Department of Biological & Environmental Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, Office of the Provost and Vice President, Academic Affairs, the University of the District of Columbia.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Performs biological experiments using the most advanced techniques and state-of- the- art equipment.
- Assists in the both statistical analysis and interpretation of the data accrued from a project undertaken, or one that will be used in setting up laboratory methodologies.
- Performs laboratory maintenance.
- Performs literature searches.
- Maintains and updates files including detailed research protocols,
- Assists the researchers in the interpretation of data
- Writes abstracts from data accrued and making presentations at local and national scientific meetings
- Assists with the preparation of reports and refereed journal articles.
- Trains undergraduate research students in the laboratory.
- Attends and participates in weekly laboratory meetings.
- A baccalaureate Degree in biology or related area
- Must have at least 2 year of research training involving basic laboratories techniques in cell and molecular biology.
- Knowledge of the administrative procedures and routines at the University that will allow the laboratory to function properly.
- Must have excellent writing and oral skills
- Must have a good grasp of the anatomy and physiology of biological systems
- Must have good computer skills
- A familiarity with laboratory safe practices.
- Must have the ability to establish and maintaining a filing system.
- Must have the ability to deal effectively and tactfully with students, faculty, administrators, and individuals in both public and private sector
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within and outside of the university
Information to Applicant
Condition of Employment: Temporary employment is restricted to a one year appointment and employment may be ended at anytime with or without cause.
Collective Bargaining Unit (Non-Union): This position is not in the collective bargaining unit.
Employment Benefits: Selectee is not eligible to participate in the University’s benefits plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer: All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity ore expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, disability or political affiliation.
Notice of Non-Discrimination: In accordance with the D.C. Human Rights Act of 1977, as amended, D.C. Official Code, Section 2-1401.01 et. seq., (Act) the University of the District of Columbia does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived: race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability. Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination which is also prohibited by the Act. In addition, harassment based on any of the above protected categories is prohibited by the Act. Discrimination in violation of the Act will not be tolerated. Violators will be subject to disciplinary action.
Veterans Preference: Applicants claiming veterans preference must submit official proof at the time of application.
Residency Preference: The Residency Preference Amendment Act of 1988, D.C. Law 7-203, created a system in which provides that any applicant for employment in the Career or Educational Services who is a bona fide resident of the District of Columbia may claim a residency reference at the time of application. An applicant selected for an appointment based on District residency will be required to submit no less than eight (8) proofs of bona fide District residency. Bona fide District residency must be maintained from the date of appointment to the position for seven (7) consecutive years. Failure to maintain bona fide District residency for the (7) year period will result in forfeiture of employment.
Drug-Free Workplace: Pursuant to the requirements of the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988, the individual selected to fill this position will, as a condition of employment, be required to notify his/her immediate supervisor, in writing, not later than five (5) days after conviction of any criminal drug statute occurring in the workplace.
Background Investigation: Employment with the University of the District of Columbia is contingent upon a satisfactory background investigation. The determination of a "satisfactory background investigation" is made at the sole discretion of the University of the District of Columbia. The University may refuse to hire a finalist, rescind an offer of employment to a finalist or review and terminate the employment of a current employee based on the results of a background investigation.
Disposition of Resume: Resumes received outside the area of consideration and/or after the closing date will not be given consideration. You must resubmit your resume to receive consideration for any subsequent advertised position vacancies. For the purpose of employment, resumes are not considered job applications. Therefore, if selected for employment a UDC application will be required.
Job Offers: Official Job Offers are made by the University of the District of Columbia, Office of Human Resources Only.
Contact Information: All inquiries related to employment and job applications should be directed to UDC Office of Human Resources at (202) 274-5020.
The University of the District of Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications